Mark was born in Aug of 1934 in Lakeland, Fl to William “Bill” & Nina Bell Hays Hollis.
Mark began his career with Publix Super Markets when he was 12 years old, bagging potatoes in the produce department. He worked in all areas of retail, including stock clerk, produce manager and store manger. In 1961 he was promoted to Director of Personnel and in 1967 became Director of Warehousing and Distribution.
He became Vice President of Public Relations and Public Affairs in 1972 and was elected to the Board of Directors in 1974.
Mark Hollis was elected President in 1984 after Joe Blanton passed away. He served as President through 1996. He was elected Vice Chairman of the Board in 1996, a position he held until his retirement in 2004, at which time he was elected Director Emeritus, a title only given to one other associate, his father.
Born in Lakeland, Mark earned a bachelor’s degree in management and marketing from Stetson University in 1956. He earned an MBA from Michigan State Univ. in 1957. He was also awarded honorary doctorates from Stetson and Florida Southern College.
Mark received the prestigious Sidney Rabb Award from the Food Marketing Institute in 1996. FMI established the Rabb award in 1977 to honor supermarket industry leaders for outstanding service to the community, consumers, and the industry.
Mark has been married to Lynn Darracott since 1955, and they split their time between their home in Lakeland, FL and a summer home in Franklin, NC.
He is the son of the late William M. Hollis, former Vice President of All American Food Stores and Publix Super Markets.
Mark & Lynn are the proud parents of three sons, M. Clayton Hollis, Jr; Jack M. Hollis; and R. Dean Hollis. They also have 12 grandchildren.
Mark Hollis died from pancreatic cancer on Dec 7, 2012.
Mark Hollis’ Memorial Service, Dec 8, 2012 at First United Methodist Church, Lakeland, FL
Stetson Trustee Emeritus Mark C Hollis Passes Away
Former Publix President Mark Hollis Dies at 78
Mark C. Hollis of Lakeland, FL Dies
Lakeland Regional Health announced a donation from the Hollis family designated to benefit and name the Hollis Cancer Center.